Taco Cauli Casserole
I am really sorry I have been so so so MIA. I have to be honest I have been pretty unmotivated. Its supposed to be spring but we have had an ice storm, rain, and at the moment as I look out the window it is REALLY snowing. Its killing me. Yesterday was even a snow day because everything was coated in a few inches of ice. It is brutal. I am on my 7th cup of tea today and am wearing my coziest winter socks.
Plus its mid-term report card season, which just means making sure I have everything marked and up to date. Its time consuming.
So to recap I have been sitting in a dark and dreary country writing report card. BAH.
I am totally aware of how whiny my first world problems are.
All I want is just some sun. Please.
To get me through until the sun I have put together this super yummy, warm, cozy, comforting taco inspired casserole. It is chalk full of veggies, but feels indulgent and should motivate you through at least one more snow storm!
- 2 tsp fat of choice
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tblsp mayo
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb ground meat, really any will do. I have tried this with both pork and beef - these pictures feature the pork
- 2 shredded zucchinis
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 2 small onions cut into half moons and then sliced
- Sprinkle of salt
- 2 sweet peppers, diced
- 1 tsp each of garlic flakes, onion flakes, cumin and chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded goat cheese - I used goat gouda (or cows dairy if that works for you)
- Preheat the oven to 400 and set out a square baking dish
- Melt 1 tsp of the fat into a skillet
- Add in the cauli rice, 1 tsp of chili powder and 1/2 tsp of salt
- Stir until the cauli rice is cooked through, about 10 mins then add the tomato sauce, cook for couple mins
- Put this into the baking dish and mix in the egg and mayo, then smooth out this layer with a spatula
- Next brown the meat in the same skillet, once cooked through add in the zucchini and fresh salsa, cook for about 5 mins, until some of the liquid cooks off
- Add this on top of the cauli rice, in the casserole dish
- In the same skillet melt the last tsp of fat
- Add in the onions and a pinch of salt, cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and starting to brown
- Add in the sweet peppers and the rest of the spices (chili, cumin, onion and garlic flakes), cook for about another 5 mins
- Taste and add more salt if needed
- Layer this on top of the meat
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for 35-40 mins
- You want the cheese to be melty and bubbly
- You could serve topped with sliced jalapenos, or cilantro, or more salsa. Really anything you like to put on your tacos!