Dreamy Layered Beef Casserole
When this post happens I will be in ECUADOR. WOOO.
I am so excited and promise to tell you all about it when I come back. I will have lots of pictures and stories for you.
I am so looking forward to some sunshine and heat. Plus I get to do awesome things like visit a chocolate farm, make and flavour my own chocolate and do a chocolate tasting!! Like hello.
The trip is a Me to We trip, so we also work in the community and interact with locals. We will be in the Amazon, so I think it will be a very interesting experience. I know that ten days is not really enough to have an impact, but hey I think I will learn a lot. I 100% prefer to spend more time in a country; I spent a month in Mexico, 6 months in Turkey and 12 month in Brazil. But obviously that is not always possible. Especially as a grown up with a job. So ten days it is! I mean how lucky am I?
I will share when I come back ;)
In the meantime this casserole is super dreamy and makes the best leftovers ever. Its a bit of work since there are so many layers. But 100% worth it. Trust me.
- 3 slices of bacon
- 2 onions
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tblsp tomato sauce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tblsp coconut milk
- 2 tblsps butter
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 3 sweet poatoes
- 1/4 red onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Scrub and poke holes into the 3 sweet potatoes
- Roast for about an hour, until soft
- Meanwhile chop the bacon into small pieces and cook in a skillet
- When the bacon is starting to get crispy add the onions (chop them in half, and chop them into little half moons)
- Sautee the onions for about 10 mins, until browned, add 1 tblsp water and cook the water off, this will extra brown the onions
- Remove the onions and bacon and set aside
- Cook the beef in the same sautee pan
- Once browned add the tomato sauce and paste
- Put the beef in the bottom of a casserole dish
- Put the onions on top
- Steam the cauliflower - when soft mash with 1 tblsp butter, the salt and pepper (I puree in a vitamix, but you can use a food processor or mash by hand)
- Add this layer on top of the onions, which are on top of the beef
- Mash the sweet potatoes with the other 1 tblsp of butter
- Put this final layer on top of the cauliflower
- Sprinkle with the red onions
- Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes