Warm and Cozy Chili with Cauli Rice
UG. Its Monday. Why do Monday's always feel so long. Or why do weekends feel so short? I can't say enough how much I love my job, but I just never feel ready for the next week. I could just plan all weekend, and then some. But then boom its Monday and I am put to the test.
It was actually the perfect planning weekend, it was gross and rainy and icy all weekend. Ideal to curl up on the couch with my laptop and prepare for the next week at school.
Also the perfect weather for a warm, cozy bowl of chili. I love a good warm, rich bowl of beef and tomato sauce. The best. Also super easy, and you probably have most of the things in your fridge and pantry.
- 1 tbslp fat
- 2 onions
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 tbslp each of cumin, chili powder, onion flakes, and garlic flakes
- 1 tsp pepper, salt and paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried chipotle chilies (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomates
- 1/2 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup broth
For the cauli rice
- 2 cups riced cauli (you can buy it pre-done at the store, you can use a food processor, or you can grate it, which by the way is VERY messy)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbslp bone broth
- 1 tsp onion and garlic flakes
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat
- Dice and add the onions and sautee until soft, about 5 mins
- Add the pepper and sautee for another 3 mins
- I add all the spices to this mixture so they get a little toasty - so add all the spices
- Add the ground beef and stir until browned (7-10 mins)
- then add in all the rest of the ingredients - basically all the liquid stuff (tomato paste, puree and diced, ACV, aminos and broth)
- Sir to combine, bring to a simmer and reduce heat
- Let simmer for about 30 mins, some of the liquid will cook off and you will be left with a very thick chili
- While the chili is simmering, melt butter in a large wok
- Add the cauli rice and spices and sautee for 5 mins
- Then add the broth and cook for another 5-10 mins, until the cauli is cooked through
- To serve: start with cauli rice and top with chili
- Top with greens, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, avocado, or whatever your favourite toppings are!
This is pretty low carb so sometimes I will add gluten free tortillas, or plantains as a side.