Crispy Okra Fries
Fries are the best. All kinds. Potato, sweet potato, cassava, and even okra. Yup you heard me right. Okra.
BUT fries are one of those things I only eat at home. Because I am not into junky oils. And you just know that at restaurants those fries are getting cooked in canola oil. Which I will not put into my body. Nope. No thank you. I am flexible with most things, but junky, damaged oils are not one of those things. The shit those oils are doing to your body....I am just not into it. If you have no idea what I am talking about below are some resources for you to check out. Written by people much smarter than me.
- More about oils and fats can be found here and here. And if that is not enough let me know and I will recommend some books.
I love okra. I didn't always. I have had the gross slimy stuff and it is NOT good. I am not up for that. I love food. BUT it has better be damn good food. I am obsessed with these okra fries.
Like come on. I can kill that whole tray. No problem.
- Okra: my Farmboy (grocery store) sells okra in a little package that is about .3 kgs. But the more the better
- 2-4 tblsp avocado oil (the more oil the crispier)
- 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp black sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut okra into 4's: no need to cut of the ends or top, just cut in half length wise and then cut in half again - aka quarter the okra length wise
- Put in a bowl
- Pour avocado oil on top and squeeze lemon on top. Toss okra.
- Add all the spices and toss again
- Spread out on a baking sheet. I used stoneware, but a regular cookie sheet topped with parchment works as well!
- Bake till crispy. I check and stir about every ten mins, and total they take 20-30 mins depending on how crowded the tray is and how crispy you want your fries.
Enjoy :) No more slimy okra.
Here is how I ate it today for breakfast (see told you I am weird) as part of my 21 day sugar detox.
- hardboiled eggs
- meat stick
- alllll the okra