Semester Two and Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs
YIKES. It is the first day of semester two. And I am at one school, in one classroom. I have my own classroom. It is pretty much the best day ever. Last semester I was split between two schools, so I had a 15 minute drive at lunch, the semester before I was split between a portable and inside, so I still had to carry all my things around. The year before I was split between two schools and had a 45 minute drive every lunch (YIKES). So I am so happy!!!! I spent all today setting up. I made a little reading nook in the corner with a cozy carpet and pillow and a stack of teen fiction. I may be napping there after a long day. My classroom is ready, my lessons are ready, my face is ready (I did a mask #beautycounter) and as always I am nervous and excited to meet my students. I know I will have some challenges this semester, but hopefully lots of fun and lots of learning too. I cannot believe how fast the year goes. This half is going to go even faster, there are so many holidays, and that just makes time fly. I am so happy for all the chances I have had to work with so many different students and so many different schools. I still hope for a more permanent gig one of these days though!!
So, obviously I have to pack a killer lunch for today. Something delicious. And Easy.
Is there anything better than using only one dish to bake your whole lunch in? No. Well okay, maybe veggies cooked in chicken juices. That is pretty darn good too. I know, I know, chicken juices sounds gross, but oh man is it good, especially cooked into crispy brusssel sprouts. Put all that together and you have my lunch!
- 6 skin on chicken thighs, I trimmed the bones out before using, I would recommend this - then save the bones in your freezer for your next batch of bone broth
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups quartered brussel sprouts
- 1 tblsp butter
- 1 tsp each: paprika, salt, garlic, onion flakes and salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Spread out the chicken thighs on the sheet
- Mix the chopped veggies in a bowl with the butter and spices
- Spread the veggies out on the tray surrounding the chicken
- Cook for 40 mins, then flip the chicken and cook for another 10 -20, depending on how crispy you like your veggies
Hint: I like mine really crispy