I need a weekend from my weekend. I know I shouldn't complain about weekends. But it was just a bit of a hectic one! Good, with lots of lovely friends and things, but hectic.
Also I am getting a cold. Which sucks.
I really want to talk about why I eat paleo, especially when I see posts all over instragram that support a different and often very dogmatic eating style. Not that paleo people can't be dogmatic. That happens too. Especially when people are new to the lifestyle and realize how amazing it makes them feel. They get all excited and want to spread the word, don't worry we have all been there!! I don't feel dogmatic about the whole thing, but there are some really really important reasons why I eat the way I do. Which I will and want to address. But just not today. I will soon though I promise!!!
All I wanted tonight was a warm cheesy bowl of goodness. But without the cheese. And without the pasta. So I created this paleo alfredo, it was warm and creamy and absolutely hit the spot.
- Zig zag style cut squash, I got this from whole foods, its basically squash that looks like pasta noodles - but you could use any kind of pasta or pasta alternative
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tblsp ghee
- 2 tblsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste, but at least 1 tsp each
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 and 1/2 cups baby shrimp
- Roast the squash noodles in the oven with the avocado oil and salt and pepper at 350 for about 25 mins
- While the squash is roasting make the "alfredo" sauce
- Melt the ghee in a saucepan
- Whisk in the arrowroot starch and make a rue
- Whisk in the coconut milk and stir until it starts to thicken
- Add the nutritional yeast and 1 tsp of salt and pepper
- Stir and taste - add more salt and pepper to taste
- When the sauce is done melt the butter in a skillet
- Add the chopped onion and saute until soft
- Add the pepper, peas and kale and saute until the pepper is cooked and kale has shrunken (about 8 mins)
- Add the shrimp, and the cooked squash noodles and then pour over the sauce. Stir until well combined and serve pipping hot!